First 5 Friday - How high can you climb up the coconut tree?
READ: Start off your weekend as you read "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault to your little one. If you were a caterpillar, what would you be thankful for?
TALK: Talk to your little ones about "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault. Use the conversation starters below to start talking!
Suggested questions to get the conversation started for all ages:
- How tall do you think a coconut tree is? Show me!
- Can you sing your ABCs? Show me!
- Parents: This is a great opportunity to teach your little one the ABCs or sing them for them to hear.
Suggested conversation questions about "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault for children ages 0-3:
- What colors did you see in this week’s book?
- How many letters do you think can fit in the top of a coconut tree?
Suggested conversation questions about "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault for children ages 4-5:
- What rhyming words did you hear in this week’s book?
- Can you count the amount of letters in the alphabet? Show me!
PLAY: First 5 Lex is ready for a fun game! Help your little one learn the alphabet through the alphabet game.
- 7 Construction Paper
- Black Marker
How to Make the Alphabet Game:
- Cut your pieces into construction paper into 4 squares each. This will give you 28 squares, leaving you with two extra in the end.
- Write each letter of the alphabet on a construction paper square for your little one to trace.
- Help your little one trace over the letters with the black marker.
How to Play the Alphabet Game:
- Once you have created all 26 alphabet cards, lay them out to where your little one can see each letter.
- Say a letter and watch your little one race to find it!
- Tip: This is a great way to teach your little one their letter by jumping in to help them find a letter if they need extra help.
- As they find a new letter, be sure to go over the sound the letter makes with your little one.
Please share pictures of the special memories you make with your little one on Facebook and Instagram at @First5Lex!